Dec 21, 2009

Did you ever go to Emilio's?


Emilio's closed in 1992 and was located on Michigan Ave. in the Wattles Park area of Battle Creek. It was very unique and had a very loyal clientele. We drove from Kalamazoo to Emilio's at least once every two weeks just for lunch! The man, the food, the atmosphere were unmatched. However, his lead cook for 23 years opened her own joint in Marshall in 1993 on the east end of downtown and calls it Oye' Amigo's. She even has a tribute to Emilio in her restaurant and is serving all my old favorites from the original recipes. The best hot sauce I have ever had. Great guacamole (try a spoon for only two dollars)! I order the tortilla shells dry, but they are good with butter as well. I was a young man going to Emilio's and I still love going to Oye' Amigo's every chance I get. Check it out even if you never heard of Emilio's.

2 comments:

Chris Jones said...

My mom and dad took us to Emilio's quite often back in 1969-1972. We first lived in Ceresco, then later moved to Beaumont Drive not far from Emilio's. We were originally from Birmingham, Alabama, so this was our introduction to authentic Mexican food. Emilio was always very nice to us, and the food was fantastic. I remember it even though I was just age 8 through 12 and am now 55. Nothing else measure up--even his tortillas were the best I've ever had. Never had green chile the way he made it since then. I live in Atlanta, GA now, but if I ever go back to Michigan I will definitely go to Oye, see what I can see of Emilio's influence.

Unknown said...

Thanks Chris! I have great memories of Emilio's as well. It was the first place my friends and I would get a craving for and drive over 1/2 hour just to get that food. It was the start of my willingness to travel for special food.