Dec 7, 2008

This place is not common



The Common Grill is not in Southwest Michigan, however it is such a good place I thought I should tell you about it in case you pass through Chelsea sometime. This restaurant was started in an old downtown department store building by Jeff Daniels father who owns the local lumber company. It opened on the same night as Jeff's popular Purple Rose Theater. They tapped a top chef from the Chuck Muer restaurants (Charley's Crab, Big Fish etc.) Craig Common is the chef and namesake to this top Michigan restaurant. The food is mostly Seafood with steaks & chicken offerings as well. They are also famous for salads and desserts, but don't miss the seafood chowder and the homemade dinner rolls. You can get any of this at the carryout as well. On my recent visit the day before Thanksgiving with my daughter, Jeff Daniels was sitting at the counter talking with his friend Craig Common. We left him alone like the people in Chelsea do. The meal was great and you have to try this place when in the area. Many think it is better than any place in Ann Arbor. The prices are a little high but well worth it. Casual dress and full bar.

1 comment:

TeamHyperNet1 said...

I stopped by the Common Grille on my way back to metro Detroit last year. I agree great food, nice atmosphere.